This recipe is very versatile and filling. In the original version, pinenuts were optional but the combination with the meat made it much more interesting. As my husband says, pinenuts turn any dish instantly into a delicacy!
- 5 tbsp Vegetable oil (Canola, Peanut, Sunflower, etc.)
- 1/2 kg (~1.1 lbs.) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup pinenuts
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can whole mushrooms
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté pine nuts with 1 tbsp of oil until light brown.
- Mix meat with the pine nuts and roll them into 2-cm diameter balls.
- Brown them on all sides with the remaining oil and set aside.
- Thinly slice or dice the onions according to preference. Both ways work.
- Using the same oiled pan, sauté onions until golden brown.
- Return meatballs to the pan and stir them with the onions on medium heat for 2 mn.
- Dissolve the tomato paste with hot water and pour into pan.
- Add bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer for about 10 mn or until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Half-way through, add the pre-washed mushrooms.
- Serve with extra sauce and Vermicelli Rice on the side.