It can also be made vegetarian. Simply skip the steps that involve the meat and substitute beef stock with vegetable stock.
Rice with Fava Beans (Broad Beans) and Beef
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp salt to soak the rice
- 1/2 cup shelled fava beans (broad beans)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200 g ground beef
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover rice with boiling water and stir in salt.
- After 30 mn at least of soaking, wash the rice well, drain and set aside.
- Add cold water to the beans in a separate pot and cook until medium tender.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pan.
- Brown meat with a pinch of pepper for flavor.
- Mix the beans with the meat and sauté for 2 mn.
- Add the rice to the meat and beans mixture and sauté for 2-3 mn.
- Pour the beef stock on top and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the stock to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 mn until the stock dries out, the rice is cooked and the beans are fork tender.
- Serve with yogurt and dried mint powder on the side.